Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Writerly Tarot for the Week -- The Seven of Wands

Feeling a bit embattled? You and me both.The fact that it's taken me until Wednesday to write up this Monday reading says a lot of the state of the creative state around here (Mercury retrograde too! Oy vey!).

The wands can bring a lot of creative energy to a situation, but a lot of chaos too. Just look at this card -- our hero is taking on six different enemies, all at one time, all with their pointy sticks aimed right at him. I bet you can easily think of six things competing for your time and attention -- six chores, six e-mails, six bills, six phone calls to return. And you and your one stick to fight them all.

This week, box up any perfectionistic tendencies you have and shove them on a high shelf. Put out what fires you can, the ones liable to flare into conflagration. Plant your feet on whatever solid ground you can find. Muster your reserves. And give yourself a pat on the back for every accomplishment, no matter how small.

And above all, protect your creative time from all those hostile forces. Shut the door. Turn off the phone. Take whatever snatches of clear and open time come your way to write, to ponder, to look at pretty pictures, whatever refuels your creative mojo. Soon enough the clatter of sticks will fill the air, and you'll have to grab your own stick and whack away. But in the small moments, when the blue sky is empty and silent, connect with your purpose, your joy, your reason for doing this thing. And do whatever you can to celebrate and own that purpose.


4 comments:

Maggie Toussaint said...

This is just what I needed to hear this week. Seems like what with one thing and another, my creativity is having to take a backseat and I don't like that!

Annette Laing said...

I think you just converted me to tarot... :-)

Tina said...

I've been trying to take it my tarot back into the public sphere again, and this seemed like a good way to do it.

Thank you Maggie and Annette for reading! I'll have another card up next Monday!

Nancy J. Cohen said...

I need to protect my creative time like you say by getting offline and turning off email. That's what drains my focus.