Monday, March 28, 2016

This Week's Writerly Tarot: The Two of Pentacles

Ah, Pentacles. The suit of foundation and security, finances and resources. As such, it's often the suit that shows up when we're dealing with career issues. Like I am right now.

See, I got into this writer gig because I like working at home, by myself, in my pajamas, as my imagination spins scenes of clever sleuthing and derring-do. Yet my to-do list this week includes writing up a sales report, organizing my inventory, and collating my receipts for delivery to my accountant.

Not a shred of derring-do.

And so here comes another Pentacle, reminding me to get back to work. Except that this Pentacle has a slightly different take on work. This Pentacle suggests that the best way to deal with an overload of work is to have a little fun.

The secret is balance, of course. Look at our gentleman in the red hat. He's light on his feet, easily and expertly juggling the two golden discs in an infinity pattern. It's his job, sure, but he's doing it with an ease and enjoyment that no doubt contributes to his success. Not that this is an easy task. Just ask the ships tossing on the wild sea behind him. There are waves. There always will be.

The Two of Pentacles reminds us that the dancer is the dance. You are your work, and your work is you, even the parts that involve spread sheets and data analysis. Find some fancy footwork in it, if you can. Take a deep breath. Keep those balls in the air.

As for me, I still have a pile of paperwork. But I'll be doing it while watching my favorite fun-trash television show.

 

No comments: